new sound engine video

General information about Wing42's Lockheed Vega.
Marco909

new sound engine video

Post by Marco909 » 02 Sep 2018, 09:01

Hi Vitus, thanks for your great little introduction to the sound engine, nice to see such effort being put into it. Some beautiful looking models are spoiled with default sounds or the same sound being used for every switch and door, it does ruin the immersion. I take it that's you with the voices!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPR8yvF6zY0&t=0s

Accufeel has reappeared after a long absence. I've yet to explore it but from FSX days I remember that it worked best with aircraft using simple dynamics and sounds and was best turned off for those aircraft with greater sophistication. It could be a nuisance say with a Real Air Duke so I expect that your Vega would be best left alone. Regards, Mark

YoYo

Re: new sound engine video

Post by YoYo » 02 Sep 2018, 09:18

I didnt notice this video before, thx!
I like it very mutch, especially idea with crew voices. Great to see this progress.
I think only its a good idea to add voices for passengers (if they are present): boarding sounds (steeps, impacts ect) and during the flight blurred speaches, laught, surprice ect behind the pilot. Something like in model of A2A Connie (Captain of the ship).
What do You think? Immersion will be better I think. :D
Last edited by YoYo on 02 Sep 2018, 10:01, edited 1 time in total.

Marco909

Post by Marco909 » 02 Sep 2018, 09:37

Hi, I agree, the Vega would have been a noisy bird but the passengers are close behind the pilot so perhaps the odd burst of laughter or shriek of terror (if I'm flying!) might be heard, a little like A2A's Heidi in their cub. She used to want to get out at 2,000 feet most of the time but I did always select 'nervous' Heidi...

Vitus

Post by Vitus » 02 Sep 2018, 13:30

I didn't immediately circulate the video, because I wanted to finish my latest developer's blog first. That's done now, you can read it on the website, or over here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=866

I honestly can't comment on the integration of Accufeel for the Vega, since I don't use it myself. From what I know about it, at least some of the features will be core part of the Vega as well.

Passenger sounds are an interesting topic. While I do want to include "boarding sounds", I am fairly certain that you wouldn't hear a thing once the Wasp engine started up.
Image Wing42 | The Simulation Company

triflyman

Post by triflyman » 02 Sep 2018, 16:26

The sounds are awesome. So glad you didn’t use “generic” switch sounds like many developers. My favorites are the “squeak” in the Wobble Pump and the screech of the wipers...absolutely great.

Now my “two cents” for rain on the windshield...the wiper sounds just beg to have rain drops on the windshield.

Thanks for your hard work...looking forward to the next update.

Vitus

Post by Vitus » 03 Sep 2018, 18:00

Yes, those two are my favorite too! The windows are very nice as well, because there's a dynamic but very subtle squeak for the hinges that goes together with the ratchet sound of the locking mechanism.

Thanks for the suggestion, I must admit that I never thought about rain-related sound effects before. Although a sound like that might conflict with the sim's rain sound though. Another tiny, cool feature would be if the sound of the wiper changes between "wet window" and "dry window", but I think it's not really worth the effort :mrgreen"

triflyman

Post by triflyman » 04 Sep 2018, 01:55

Vitus,

Sorry, not clear on my “two cents”...I was referring to visual rain drops on the windshield...not a sound...although that might be great also. I think your “features” list just keeps growing.

Vitus

Post by Vitus » 04 Sep 2018, 13:01

Oh sorry, I misunderstood. I still haven't look into the rain effect. I'm currently so far behind with the engine simulation, I put all my time into that... But it would be really cool if the rain could affect the visibility in this way eventually.
I don't think we will run out of ideas any time soon :mrgreen: