Radio and navigation

Get tech support for your Lockheed Vega here.
GrizzlyAir

Radio and navigation

Post by GrizzlyAir » 27 Aug 2018, 13:59

Are there plans to add a radio and/or an ADF or radio range system for flying the Vega? I don’t mind flying low to the ground and following roads, I just wasn’t sure if it ever had those installed.

Vitus

Re: Radio and navigation

Post by Vitus » 27 Aug 2018, 14:11

Radio technology has just been invented a few years prior to the Vega, so essentially all radio equipment of that time was in a prototype stage. Wiley Post used a low-frequency radio direction finder for his round the world trip (not sure if it was installed only for his solo flight, or his flight prior with navigator Harold Gatty, I have to look this up...). I did see pictures of Vegas with antennas, usually mounted on top of the fuselage. But I expect those to be radios for communication and besides Post's huge square loop-antenna, I haven't seen anything resembling a direction finder mounted on the Vega.

All this being said, I have some plans regarding radio navigation. But all this will come at a much later date ;)
Image Wing42 | The Simulation Company

GrizzlyAir

Re: Radio and navigation

Post by GrizzlyAir » 27 Aug 2018, 14:27

Absolutely understand and agree. I always look forward to seeing what surprises are in store. Thank you for the answer