Comments after 4 more flights

Get tech support for your Lockheed Vega here.
triflyman

Comments after 4 more flights

Post by triflyman » 07 Aug 2018, 03:00

After 4 more flights, of varying duration, have the following comments. I understand some of these may be waiting a future update:
  • When de-boarding, chocks are automatically installed before passengers begin de-boarding, then taken out for about 2 seconds, than put back in again while passengers de-bark (is that a word?)..then taken out again after door closes. Same with baggage unloading.
    Have been having a lot of problems with failed Starters. Almost every flight requires a replacement.
    Add to checklist to "Set Altimeter" before takeoff
    When Fuel Tanks at anything other than 100% the Walkaround Checklist for Fuel will not turn green...even though there is enough fuel for the flight.
    Pilot is still shown in the cockpit, from outside view, even after I de-board him in the Payload page
    Primer...can use Scroll Wheel on the mouse to unlock but not to lock. Believe it should either work both ways or not at all with the Scroll Wheel
    Elevator Trim not intuitive...Roll the mouse Scroll Wheel forward to trim up and visa-versa.
    Manifold Pressure during Climb-Maybe this is I don't understand the Supercharger...but MP does not change as I climb. Not the way I understand Superchargers to work and not what I see in my other Supercharged aircraft...several Propliners.
    Aircraft not stable in Pitch...very difficult to hold altitude. Don't know if real aircraft was this way.
    Have had 3 flights of over 1 hour in duration...fuel burn seems way to low for this engine...21 to 27 gph. This is much less than the Milvez DCH-3 which will cruise at 30 to 35 gph.
My #1 request would be for the sounds.

Hope this helps. Looking forward to the next update...this aircraft just keeps getting better.

Vitus

Re: Comments after 4 more flights

Post by Vitus » 08 Aug 2018, 13:04

triflyman wrote:
07 Aug 2018, 03:00
When de-boarding, chocks are automatically installed before passengers begin de-boarding, then taken out for about 2 seconds, than put back in again while passengers de-bark (is that a word?)..then taken out again after door closes. Same with baggage unloading.
hmm.... yes. That has something to do with the way the jobs for the ground crew are managed internally. The loading/unloading requires certain equipment to be in place. If it is not there yet, the job to install it is automatically queued. When the loading/unloading is completed, the equipment that was installed automatically is being queued for removal. Buuut, if there is a second loading/unloading/refueling done it will then cancel the queuing of the removal.
When I get back to optimizing the ground crew interface I might have another look at this, maybe there's a simple solution by just changing the order in which things are being done. But if a solution would be more complex than that, I probably won't change it. It might not look like it, but the ground crew interface consists of around 2000 lines of C++ code and an additional 2500 lines for the panel itself. Changes to this part will always require a loooot of time.

I think the term you're looking for is disembark. :ugeek:
triflyman wrote:
Have been having a lot of problems with failed Starters. Almost every flight requires a replacement.
After the engine start, make sure that both starter button and booster button are in the unpressed position! It might just be that you are flying with the starter engaged, which could explain the issue.
Also please note that the starter system will be replaced with a more accurate inertia starter in the future. So there will be some changes to the starter circuit coming anyway.
triflyman wrote:
Add to checklist to "Set Altimeter" before takeoff
Good point.
triflyman wrote:
When Fuel Tanks at anything other than 100% the Walkaround Checklist for Fuel will not turn green...even though there is enough fuel for the flight.
Yes, that's by design. I'm honestly not quite sure what would be the best solution for this. My general thinking was: green = no worries, red = don't takeoff, fix this first! yellow = have a look and see if it's ok. So, if the tanks are completely full, everything is fine (green). If the tanks are half-full, you may or may not need to pay attention to it (yellow).
Since my module doesn't know what flight you have planned, I don't really know how to color code it differently.
triflyman wrote:
Pilot is still shown in the cockpit, from outside view, even after I de-board him in the Payload page
Yes, the pilot is very lazy. As soon as I get the passengers modeled I'll update his behavior as well!
triflyman wrote:
Primer...can use Scroll Wheel on the mouse to unlock but not to lock. Believe it should either work both ways or not at all with the Scroll Wheel
The primer will be replaced in v0.05, scroll wheel will be disabled. Thanks for the hint!
triflyman wrote:
Elevator Trim not intuitive...Roll the mouse Scroll Wheel forward to trim up and visa-versa.
Good observation. Will be fixed in the next update.
triflyman wrote:
Manifold Pressure during Climb-Maybe this is I don't understand the Supercharger...but MP does not change as I climb. Not the way I understand Superchargers to work and not what I see in my other Supercharged aircraft...several Propliners.
There will be a lot of changes once the engine simulation is completed. At the moment I am using the default values for MP produced by the sim. The MP stays constant until the "critical altitude" is reached (I think I set it to ~5000feet?), only then will it start to decline.
triflyman wrote:
Aircraft not stable in Pitch...very difficult to hold altitude. Don't know if real aircraft was this way.
triflyman wrote:
Have had 3 flights of over 1 hour in duration...fuel burn seems way to low for this engine...21 to 27 gph. This is much less than the Milvez DCH-3 which will cruise at 30 to 35 gph.
It's a different engine though. The Vega has the waaaaaay older R-1340 SC1 installed and the fuel consumption given for that type of engine is not more than 0.55 lbs/hp/h (see for instance here.). So, if you cruise at around 350 hp you'll get: 0.55 lbs/hp/h * 350 hp = 193 lbs/h = ~28 gph. Fly even more economical and you can stretch it to as low as 19 gph.
triflyman wrote:
My #1 request would be for the sounds.
Working on it as we speak. :)
Image Wing42 | The Simulation Company

triflyman

Re: Comments after 4 more flights

Post by triflyman » 08 Aug 2018, 19:36

Again, thanks for the response.
I will double check to be sure I'm not flying with starter engaged...realize that would cause a failure.

Sorry...totally missed, in the manual, what a yellow indication meant on the walkaround. Understand now.

On the fuel...Aviation Fuel is 6 lbs/gal therefore the 193 lbs/hr would translate to ~32 gph (unless I'm missing something in my math)...which would make a little more sense. I double checked the Otter Fuel Consumption Spec's...at 350 hp it shows 28.5 gph...so a 32 gph would make sense, to me, on an older engine (older technology).

Any way...thanks again and keep up the great work.