Comments after 1st flight

Get tech support for your Lockheed Vega here.
triflyman

Comments after 1st flight

Post by triflyman » 31 Jul 2018, 22:28

Vitus,

Just completed my 1st flight and have the following comments:
• Door needs to stay open after baggage loads for passenger loading.
• Need a “Progress Bar” while baggage being loaded.
• Unable to read the Weight & Balance Numbers on the Payload page…to small
• Size of aircraft in P3D preview window is very small. Can scroll to make bigger but next time goes small again.
• Master Battery Switch is very confusing. I think there was a previous conversation on this but could not find it.
• Does the Master Battery Switch need to be on, when the Cart is connected, to charge the Battery?
• Feel like the aircraft rolls to easily. When I release the brakes, even with RPM at 800, the aircraft launches itself forward and gains speed rapidly.
• I tried to attach four pages from the Checklist with some comments but your site would not allow a .pdf file. I'll see if I can send it another way.

Thanks for a great model. Even though it is "Early Access" it's still better than several "finished" models I've purchased.

Vitus

Re: Comments after 1st flight

Post by Vitus » 01 Aug 2018, 12:30

Thank you for your insight! I think you highlighted some very important points, let me go through it:
triflyman wrote:
31 Jul 2018, 22:28
• Door needs to stay open after baggage loads for passenger loading.
I wasn't aware of this issue, I'll add it to my list.
triflyman wrote:
• Need a “Progress Bar” while baggage being loaded.
Uuuuuugh.... I thought this will come up eventually... The baggage loading may seem simple, but in reality is a very extensive piece of code. Maybe you've noticed that the plane doesn't just slowly fill up (that would be too easy), but instead every few seconds the weight jumps up to simulate a new piece of luggage being loaded into the aircraft. Since there's a lot of randomness in this process (the weight of each piece of luggage is random, the time between each piece is random) a progress bar is quite difficult to put together. I agree with you though, the interface is currently missing a good feedback for the loading process. But this goes hand in hand with your next point:
triflyman wrote:
• Unable to read the Weight & Balance Numbers on the Payload page…to small
Yeah, I got this a few times. My development machine is a potato with a tiny 1366x768 resolution. What looks big enough on this screen is not sufficient on any proper setup. I'm planing on re-designing the payload manager to make it bigger and more readable. But that's probably something for version 0.06.
triflyman wrote:
• Size of aircraft in P3D preview window is very small. Can scroll to make bigger but next time goes small again.
Ok, I'll have a look into this. I think P3D handles the viewing distance in the preview differently to FSX. I'll try to get it right in the upcoming update.
triflyman wrote:
• Master Battery Switch is very confusing. I think there was a previous conversation on this but could not find it.
The idea of the switch is that you twist it in the direction of the label - on is clockwise, off is counter-clockwise. I will add a little marker on the switch to make it more intuitive though.
triflyman wrote:
• Does the Master Battery Switch need to be on, when the Cart is connected, to charge the Battery?
Nope. The battery cart hooks up directly to the battery. The switch just disconnects the electrical consumers off the battery.
triflyman wrote:
• Feel like the aircraft rolls to easily. When I release the brakes, even with RPM at 800, the aircraft launches itself forward and gains speed rapidly.
Yes! I wish I could get the aircraft more sluggish at low rpm, but at the moment I don't know how. I tried lowering the prop-thrust table of the .air file, but then I ran into trouble at takeoff...
It's on my list, but it will require some tinkering for which I currently have no time due to the long to-do list for 0.05 :)
triflyman wrote:
• I tried to attach four pages from the Checklist with some comments but your site would not allow a .pdf file. I'll see if I can send it another way.
See my PM.
triflyman wrote:
Thanks for a great model. Even though it is "Early Access" it's still better than several "finished" models I've purchased.
It was very important to me that the aircraft is in a flyable and fun state on early-access release. In fact, I postponed the release by several months because I thought that wasn't the case yet. It makes me very happy to read that you're pleased with the product as it is!

Thanks again for your comments, I appreciate the suggestions and will work on it!
Image Wing42 | The Simulation Company

triflyman

Post by triflyman » 01 Aug 2018, 22:30

Vitus,
Thanks for the detailed reply. Allow me to respond on a couple of the items:
1. The "Progress Bar" for the baggage loading.
- With your explanation I now feel it is NOT needed. I think if you give a similar explanation in the manual then it will be fine as is. I only brought it up because after I hit the load baggage I then went into the cabin and put the seat back up...then when I went back outside I saw the bags still being loaded. Now I know to wait until the cart is empty.

2. Battery Switch. It seems you only need to rotate the knob on the shaft so the "ears" on the knob point to "OFF" when it's off and "ON" when it's on. The way it is now is exactly the opposite.

One more thing on the Baggage Loading/Unloading...you said the weight changes with each bag...does not do that on mine. I put in the weight I want back there and it loads a proper amount of bags to get to that weight but the Weight & Balance numbers do not change either on the "Luggage" line, the "Subtotal" line nor the "Gross Weight" line.

One more...one more item...could you make the units stay after we change them in the Weight & Balance. When we reload a flight they go back to metric units.

Thanks.

Vitus

Post by Vitus » 02 Aug 2018, 14:00

I think that the UI/UX of the load sheet needs some improvements. There's not enough feedback given by the panel as it is now, which creates the experience as you described it. The same is true for the numbers in the table.

Here's the problem with it:
As you know, my goal with this aircraft is historicity and immersion. One aspect of that is that the pilot WON'T have all the information available all the time. So the only time when you will know EXACTLY how heavy your ship is, is on the ground. Once you're airborne you can only deduct your weight - and for that matter your fuel status - by the information you gathered on the ground.
On the other hand, the load sheet will only show you your pre-selected weight, not your actual weight! So, if you select to load 4 passengers but you don't press that "board passengers" button, the load sheet will indicate that there's ~700 lbs sitting on the seats while in reality your ship is still empty.
In my opinion all of this isn't properly communicated with the pilot right now and so eventually I'll put some more time into an overhaul of the interface to make it more intuitive. This will, hopefully, solve the issue you describe as well.

Battery switch: yes you're right. The way you describe it is an easy fix. Done, will be included in the next update.

Persistant units: done. Will be included in the next update.

Thanks again for your feedback!
Image Wing42 | The Simulation Company

triflyman

Post by triflyman » 02 Aug 2018, 21:00

Thanks Vitus...glad some of my rambling helps.