Why does this take soooo looong?

General information about the Wing42 Lockheed Vega.
Vitus

Why does this take soooo looong?

Post by Vitus » 02 Jul 2019, 14:41

Just a quick heads-up to all of you who are patiently waiting for v.0.9. I want to give you a bit of an insight what's going on behind the scenes right now.

If you follow the To-do-list for v.0.9, you'll know that, besides a bunch of other cool things, the next update will finally bring more comprehensive malfunctions with it, and that's what I am busy with for the most of my day. Here's what's involved:

1. The various malfunctions need to be identified, together with it's effects and it's causes.
2. All those malfunctions need to be programmed, with said cause and effect
3. For each malfunction, there needs to be a "route to fix". This procedure is a core component of the new mechanic Jack. Part of this is to define which components he'll inspect and how to deal with any malfunction he finds.
4. Each malfunction and repair initiates a unique response from your mechanic. This response needs to be recorded, the audio mastered, transcribed (for the subtitles to work) and then associated to the malfunction/fix.
5. All components need to be referenced in the new maintenance manual so that Jack can properly report back to you and highlight the faulty component.
6. All of this needs to be tested thoroughly.

I spent many weeks to get the framework for all of this set up right and the first module that got this malfunction overhaul was the electrical system which works very well by now. With the malfunction-framework in place, I hope that the next next modules will be much faster to implement. But we'll see what the next obstacle will be. :roll:

[SPOILER ALERT] To give you an idea, here's a screenshot of the table of malfunctions of the electrical system:

And to put this whole endeavor into perspective: the electrical system consists of eleven components. Each component can fail in at least two ways, but some of the components have up 5 varying malfunctions defined. So overall, there are over 30 ways the electrical system can malfunction and each of those malfunctions has at least one, sometimes up to three different responses from Jack.

Needless to say, this is A LOT of work, both for me and our awesome voice actor Garry Lundberg, who graciously volunteers his time to make Jack come alive.

So please be patient, because this update will be well worth it!
Image Wing42 | The Simulation Company

Vitus

Re: Why does this take soooo looong?

Post by Vitus » 02 Jul 2019, 14:52

Maybe one more quick remark about the roadmap of the Vega.

With 0.90, the Lockheed Vega will contain all the features of the full version. However, due to the amount of new system introduced with that update, I do expect that you guys will find a bug or two. Therefore, the period between 0.90 to the full version 1.0 is dedicated to eradicate those issues, but there won't be more new content added! The only exception to that is the addition of passengers and an overhaul of the pilot's 3d model which will be the final touch of v1.0.

mthrift

Post by mthrift » 04 Jul 2019, 00:29

Thank you for sharing some of the secrets from behind the curtain. I'm really excited about the update!

Michael

Vitus

Post by Vitus » 09 Jul 2019, 13:26

We are about half-way there with the implementation of malfunctions. The current count is 97. Meaning that the Vega can fail in 97 different ways.
I will count on all of you to help me balance the reliability and frequency of those malfunctions by putting a lot of hours into the ship once update 0.9 has landed! I cannot wait to read your experiences with these new features, and especially what you think of the new mechanic. 8-)

Vitus

Post by Vitus » 11 Jul 2019, 00:22

So far, we finished implementing:
- Electrical malfunctions
- Barometric malfunctions (pitot/static ports, altimeter, vsi, asi)
- Vacuum malfunctions (pump, lines, relief valve, ah, dg, t&b)
- Fuel system malfunctions (leaks, contamination, pump failures, cracked seals)
- Ignition malfunctions (magneto, harness, spark plugs)

Still to come:
- Lubrication system
- Air-frame
- Engine body

mthrift

Post by mthrift » 11 Jul 2019, 04:13

Sounds like you have the "difficult" ones out of the way! Can't wait!

Michael