New Microsoft Flight Simulator coming in 2020

Forums for discussions about Wing42, new developments and aviation in general.
Vitus

New Microsoft Flight Simulator coming in 2020

Post by Vitus » 10 Jun 2019, 12:25

So Microsoft went to the E3 to announce their new XBox and plenty new video game titles that will come in 2020. Among those titles is Microsoft Flight Simulator. If you haven't seen the trailer yet, it's definitely worth a look.

phpBB [media]

https://fsi.microsoftstudios.com/

What are your thoughts?
Image Wing42 | The Simulation Company

Jaggyroad

Re: New Microsoft Flight Simulator coming in 2020

Post by Jaggyroad » 10 Jun 2019, 22:49

Not terribly surprised, as Microsoft maintained ownership of the IP, and never sold it. I’m curios if those shots are prerendered. Should be interesting.
Image Wing42 | Moderator
“We can each change the world, with genuine acts of kindness.” - Mongai Fankam

Vitus

Post by Vitus » 10 Jun 2019, 23:10

I think the big question will be whether or not they'll open the platform for 3rd party developers again. That'll ultimately make the difference between "Microsoft Flight Game" and "Microsoft Flight Simulator".

WarHorse47

Post by WarHorse47 » 10 Jun 2019, 23:13

Could be a game changer for me (sorry for the pun).

I've been thinking of changing platforms now that I no longer am doing CAD work or bringing work from home. My PC is used primarily for flight simulation, digital photo editing and storage, and social media. If I migrate to Xbox for flight simulation, I can get rid of the PC and go to a tablet or laptop.

My first thought was of the developers. I still feel many were premature in dropping addons for FSXA and migrating solely to P3D. Now they have (possibly) another sim to consider.

At the moment its more wait and see what comes from this announcement. Hard to envision addons for Xbox. On the other hand it would make life simpler as compared to all the tweaks, driver updates, etc., that I went through for the PC to get FSXA to run right.

--WH

Vitus

Post by Vitus » 11 Jun 2019, 23:30

We'll see how much of what MS promises will actually come to life when they release the new Flight Simulator.

I'd say developers flock wherever their customers drag them to, since that's the only way to generate revenue and the move to P3D makes sense considering that with every new version, Prepar3d changes how things are done within the sim and at some point it stops being feasible to develop for two platforms that have an ever increasing gap between them. And I would be surprised if Microsoft didn't start from scratch with this new Simulator - since the last version they built is 13 years old. So either way, we'll have to learn how to make add-ons - provided Microsoft lets us do that. :-)

Jaggyroad

Post by Jaggyroad » 30 Jun 2019, 22:28

Keep one thing in mind... There’s some chance this could be an always online platform, with in game purchases. That’s the future of gaming, whether we like it or not... And all the big publishers are doing it. Microsoft has been dabbling with it, and only recently starting walking deeper into the pool. Licensing, and how it affects the end users and developers is key. Microsoft has made announcements in the last couple of months that have me very concerned for products like this... And they’re getting into gaming where all the content is essentially held on a server, and the end user owns nothing, since it’s just being streamed to you.
Image Wing42 | Moderator
“We can each change the world, with genuine acts of kindness.” - Mongai Fankam