Engine Start Button

Get tech support for your Lockheed Vega here.
Butch

Engine Start Button

Post by Butch » 20 May 2019, 17:25

I can pretty much twiddle all the prerequisite switches, knob, dial etc up to where the last thing to do is
engage that starter button. I have found it, and when I push it in, I can here the thing whining (winding the rubber bands :D )
and then I just make a command decision to pull it out and the prop will move a little....then quit....

I then just resort to using the CTRL + E to get the job done. I really wish I had the knack to using that starter switch better
or could use some advise on how to use that thing or else come up with a starter switch that would function better for me.
I go thru all the steps okay till that Darn start switch. Gadzooks! :o

Vitus

Re: Engine Start Button

Post by Vitus » 20 May 2019, 18:34

Provided that you followed the pre-start procedure (fuel pressure, booster, priming, spark), she should start up on the first try. Keep in mind that this is an inertia starter and the process is two fold: first you push the button in to build up momentum in the flywheel and only when the wheel spins fast enough should you "mesh" with the crankshaft by pulling the starter button out. Listen to the whining sound of the flywheel and keep the lever pushed in until the audible pitch of the whining is more or less stable.
There's much more information on the startup process in the manual, including a step-by-step procedure to get you going. I hope this helps! Let me know how it went!
Image Wing42 | The Simulation Company

Butch

Re: Engine Start Button

Post by Butch » 20 May 2019, 21:00

I did all the pre=start stuff (like you said) and then I pushed in the button and sure enough I heard the whine and when it sounded like the pitch of the whine would not get any higher, I pull the button out and the engine tried to start but it all came to a halt. I did all that before my first post here. I'll try again and see if it will start.