Carb Heat

Get tech support for your Lockheed Vega here.
Ian Fisher

Carb Heat

Post by Ian Fisher » 19 Apr 2019, 19:49

Hello.

In your checklists PDF it says

Part throttle operation is often conducive to the
formation of carburetor ice. Activate carburetor heat to
prevent ice from forming.

For the life of me I can not locate the carb heat lever, where is it hiding?

Thanks.

Vitus

Re: Carb Heat

Post by Vitus » 19 Apr 2019, 20:42

In version 0.04 there still was a small carb heat lever in the cockpit, but I removed it in v0.85 to follow the historic accounts.
It turns out that carburetor heating was something very new at that time the P&W 1340 C or SC engine featured what they called a "universal heater", which in essence, is a carburetor heater. We believe that the "B" lever on the throttle quadrant was the lever linked with the heater, but I didn't get around simulating this system properly. So for the time being, you can ignore the carburetor heating and hope that Prepar3d/FSX doesn't through you a curve ball ;)
Image Wing42 | The Simulation Company

mthrift

Post by mthrift » 20 Apr 2019, 00:25

With all that, though, I believe (at least it seems to for me) that if you use the (default) FSX key assignment of "h", you will move the Blower lever to the "full" position and engage Carb heat. Clicking it again toggles the lever back again.

Michael
Last edited by mthrift on 21 Apr 2019, 11:47, edited 1 time in total.

Vitus

Post by Vitus » 20 Apr 2019, 00:33

Yes! I actually hooked up the lever with the carburetor heat controls of the sim. But I must admit, that it only works in one way. Ie. the sims key/joystick controls change the status of the lever, but if you use the mouse to move it, the sim's internal carburetor settings does no change....

like I said: carburetor heat is work in progress at the moment, so in the meantime just try to avoid icing, which in the Vega is very good advice anyway.
Lots of things I figured out way after the first Early-Access version was released, hence changes like this. :)
Image Wing42 | The Simulation Company