0.85 Starting Issues

Get tech support for your Lockheed Vega here.
mthrift

0.85 Starting Issues

Post by mthrift » 17 Apr 2019, 13:07

Hello,

I wanted you to know I have had issues with starting the engine. These issues have been with the inertial starter itself, and with the engine firing up once the starter is working. I am on Ver 0.85 with the 0.8502 dll. I'm running FSX-SE.

The starter issue is that when loading the plane and attempting the start it, the starter does not operate. I eventually discovered that a blown starter fuse was the cause. The plane seems to load each time with a blown starter fuse. Furthermore, upon replacing the fuse, it immediately blows. The only way I've found to stop this behavior is to open the Mechanic's Panel (I think that's what it's called) from the sidebar and click the "fix all issues" button.

Also, a separate issue, after using the inertial starter successfully once or twice with the original 0.085 dll (before the new ones were available) I have not been able to do it since. After "Fixing all issues" (as described above), I go through all the checklist steps. I engage the starter, wait 30 seconds or so, until the starter sounds like it has reached maximum speed, and then pull to mesh. The prop turn slowly about 1 to 1-1/2 turns but doesn't start - even with multiple attempts. Of course, it could be that I am missing some setting, but I've been careful to turn on the mags, the boost coil, fuel, confirm fuel pressure, prime 3-5 times, crack the throttle and spark advance about 1 inch, but no luck. At that point, Control-E does work to start the engine.

Regards,
Michael

Ian Fisher

Re: 0.85 Starting Issues

Post by Ian Fisher » 19 Apr 2019, 20:05

I have the same issue, when ever it does not start I know the fuse has blown. Tried replacing it using the virtual fuse box but it needs the "fix all issues" button.

Vitus

Post by Vitus » 19 Apr 2019, 20:53

Thanks for pushing this topic. I completely forgot to reply!

I believe that what you guys experience is not a bug, but a feature of the aircraft. Let me elaborate:

The fuses are there to PROTECT your electrical equipment. They blow when too much current runs through them, and the only way too much current can run through them is when there is a short circuit in one of the attached systems. What very likely has happened is that either starter motor or booster coil failed with a short circuit. When you replace the fuses, you don't resolve this problem and when you try to use either of the components another time, the fuse will blow again.

The "proper" response is to have Jack (Shift+4) take a look at both the starter motor and booster coils and fix them. Change the fuses once that is done and try again.

That being said, there is currently a problem that lies on my end of things: the starter circuit is currently extremely fragile. The reason is that I programmed the components in a way that they can fail if they experience too much heat, and as you know, there is currently a problem with the heat-exchange simulation on long duration flights.

I am working on a solution and I think I am about half way there. But expect a full working heat exchange for v.0.90. On the other hand there will be some other changes to the electrical system coming with v.0.90: the capacity of the battery will be greatly reduced from currently ~40 Ah to around 8 Ah. I think that's more indicative of battery technology of the time. Furthermore I started programming a couple of possible malfunctions into the code of the generator, which will be a lot of fun to resolve.

I hope this clears up the issue. 8-)
Image Wing42 | The Simulation Company

mthrift

Post by mthrift » 20 Apr 2019, 00:21

That's good information to know. Thanks for the reply and for the discussion of where you're headed in working to resolve this. In the meantime, I'll be sure to talk with my mechanic and have him take a look at the electrical components prior to each flight!

Michael