Uninstall issues

Forums for discussions about Wing42, new developments and aviation in general.
WarHorse47

Uninstall issues

Post by WarHorse47 » 06 Apr 2019, 17:47

Thought I would share an issue I encountered this morning while updating to v0.85.

First, I thought I could uninstall the prior version through my Win8.1 Program Uninstall and encountered a message indicating I did not have administrative permissions. This was odd as I am the administrator for my system.

Second, I followed instructions and uninstalled using the shortcut in the Start Menu. All the other shortcuts were removed, but the aircraft folder was still intact along with all the subfolders. I removed the entire folder and installed the update. One short flight so far and all appears well.

My FSXA install is in a special directory, C:\Games\, so I suspect that might have confused the prior install/uninstall data. Not sure, but thought I would report the issue for other users.

--WH

Vitus

Re: Uninstall issues

Post by Vitus » 06 Apr 2019, 18:04

Hi WH,

Thanks for the report. I think the installer/uninstaller still has a couple of issues that need to be addressed in future versions before final release. I do my best to make it better with every update though, the latest change was that you can now customize the folder into which the aircraft installs.
I wasn't aware of any issue regarding the "Windows Uninstall" route, so thank you for that feedback. This probably affects the current version 0.85 as well, since I didn't touch those parts. I'll investigate when the time comes for the next update.
It's strange that the aircraft wasn't fully uninstalled. Did you manually move the folder after the last installation? Otherwise the uninstall should have found it and removed it from the system.

Like I mentioned before: the setup wizard does require a bit of attention, but at the moment I'd rather spend the time on the aircraft itself rather than making the installer shinier :mrgreen:
Image Wing42 | The Simulation Company

WarHorse47

Post by WarHorse47 » 06 Apr 2019, 19:05

Yes, I moved the folder of the initial version before installing v0.85.

Just finished my 2nd flight, and all okay. Nothing missing, but I need to go re-read the manual. :lol: I'll do some more flights this afternoon after I take the wife out to lunch. :mrgreen:

--WH

Vitus

Post by Vitus » 06 Apr 2019, 19:34

Yes, that explains it. The Uninstaller can't read your mind :P

I'm glad it's working for you now.
Image Wing42 | The Simulation Company

EllenRer

Hello

Post by EllenRer » 11 Aug 2019, 15:42

Hello, thanks!