Temporary Engine Sounds

Get tech support for your Lockheed Vega here.
Tailspin45

Temporary Engine Sounds

Post by Tailspin45 » 22 Jun 2018, 23:55

Found a temporary replacement for the engine sounds at flightsim.com.

With over 1000 hours behind a real 1340 I wanted something that sounds good while we wait for the finished product here which, I'm sure, will be superb.

The freeware package I found is for a Ford Tri-Motor that had three 1340s, but comes with instructions and sound cfg files for a single-engine aircraft.

The file is called tweakedfordtri-motorsounds.zip

Remember, it's freeware and not part of the wing42 Vega package--just my suggestion if you're looking for something that sounds a little more authentic. The idle sound is indistinguishable from the real thing, at least to me.
Blue skies and tailwinds - Tailspin Tommy (aka Tom)

Vitus

Re: Temporary Engine Sounds

Post by Vitus » 24 Jun 2018, 11:28

I can recommend this. The soundset is a modification of the original MS FS9 sounds for the Trimotor - the author gave the sounds a bit of an oomph (professional term, as Tailspin pointed out :D ).

Just make sure to follow the procedures for the single engine configuration!

And worry not! Our own sound is coming in a future update! 8-)
Image Wing42 | The Simulation Company

triflyman

Post by triflyman » 30 Jul 2018, 02:45

Tom,

Thanks for this. Before I attempt to install (to make sure I don't screw it up...which I am usually very good at...can I get more detail on making the sound change. I understand the mod to use single engine but not sure about some things as follows:
  • Do I just throw away the existing Vega Sound Folder and replace with the Ford Sound Folder (after modifying for single engine and the .cfg file)?
    If not a complete replacement...what is the procedure?
Thanks for your help.

Vitus

Post by Vitus » 30 Jul 2018, 16:26

My suggestion is to rename the current sound folder to 'sound-backup' (or whatever). That way you keep a copy, in case you don't like the new soundset. Next, create a new folder 'sound' in the Vega's folder. Copy the sound files from the zip file into this new folder, but skip all files that have a 'right' or 'center' suffix (e.g. 'ford_noncombust_outboard_left'). Go to the 'Single engine config file' folder in the zip file and copy the 'sound.cfg' to the new sound folder.

That's it! 8-)

triflyman

Post by triflyman » 31 Jul 2018, 04:29

Thanks...I’ll give it a try.

YoYo

Post by YoYo » 29 Aug 2018, 12:51

Just question about sound of engien in 0.04. Is it the final version or temporary only too?
They are too quiet for me, and they are like from smaller engine.
The good example is a MV DHC-3 Otter, he has the same engine like Vega (R-1340! Just a little improved version) and sound is perfect here for me.

Vitus

Post by Vitus » 29 Aug 2018, 13:47

No, the sound wasn't changed with the last update. All sounds are temporary and the here mentioned substitutes work really well for the meantime (imho).

You must abandon the idea that R-1340 is a full engine characterization. The R-1340 "Wasp" went through soooo many iterations that you cannot compare the Vega's R-1340 SC1 with a more modern R-1340 S1H1-G. Especially the "G" in the engine designation would change the sound of the engine completely, because "G" indicates that it has a gearbox (usually 2:1 reduction) in the crankcase.

While I don't think I ever heard a real R-1340 C1 or R-1340 SC1, my understanding of the technology is that the sound was much more choppy than later versions of the engine. While not perfect, the replacement sound Tom mentions here has a good portion of this rattling sound I'd expect for the engine.