To-do list for 0.04

Get tech support for your Lockheed Vega here.
Vitus

To-do list for 0.04

Post by Vitus » 11 Jun 2018, 01:01

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Below you'll find my current todo-list as you'd see it on my whiteboard in the office. These are the things I consider to be the priority for the next Update of the Lockheed Vega 5. I figure it would further the transparency and trust if you'd be kept in the loop as to what I am working on right now, since all of you have been very generous and forthcoming in your support of this project.

TO-DO list for version 0.4
  • Heat exchange module - this will be a core-component of the Vega's physics simulation and an integral part in the engine's wear&tear simulation.
  • Skinned mesh animations - there's some skinned mesh parts that need a bit of love. I.e. the stick cover, the pilot and the wiring in the fuse-box (there's some minor clipping issues)
  • Clean up lubrication module - there's an issue (that doesn't affect the operation right now!) in the guts of the oil system were the pressure can rise to ridiculous levels so that the double variable can't hold it anymore and it switches to "NaN" (not a number). I need to set some boundary conditions in the pressure calculations to prevent that. In the future this high pressure will cause failures though - broken seals etc.
  • Fuel dump valve - My research (that's what I call my "looking at pictures") shows that the early Lockheeds all seem to have had a fuel dump valve installed just under the wobble pump. I'll implement that in the next update. - done.
  • Overhaul vacuum system - I was called out on YouTube for my inadequate representation of the vacuum system. Specifically my assumption that the prop-wash would generate enough laminar flow to generate enough pressure differential in the venturi tube to operate three instruments. I was wrong and I'll correct this. As it turns out, the venturi was only hooked up to the turn & bank indicator as a backup in case the engine-driven vacuum pump failed. The bad news is that this also means I have to change the plumbing diagram in the manuals... meh.
  • Handheld radio - ok, ok. I concede your point. Your posts here in the forum weren't the first to point out that a radio would really, really be useful. While I still hate the idea of introducing modern technology into the aircraft, I think I will include the option of installing a little 2d-handheld radio. Are you happy now? :lol:
  • SECRET - there are some other points on the list that I either don't want to disclose, because I'm not sure if I'll finish with them on time, or I'd like to surprise you.
All of this should be finished within the next two months. And if you notice that I am not posting anything for a while, it'll mean that I dug myself deep into some code 8-)

Is there anything (from the list of upcoming features or otherwise) you think should be bumped up onto this list? Or is there any particular bug you think I should rather devote some time to? Please let me know.
Image Wing42 | The Simulation Company

WarHorse47

Re: To-do list for 0.04

Post by WarHorse47 » 11 Jun 2018, 06:10

Sounds like you're looking for some more challenging features to code. :mrgreen:

I just finished a dusk flight. Love the lighting. Made some notes on a few items you may want to consider.

PILOT'S ACCESS - add the keyboard shortcut for opening the pilot's access and removing the pilot.

CABIN DOOR - add the ability to open the door from inside the cabin.

LUGGAGE/CARGO - remove luggage between flights (the passengers would be irate if the airlines lost them)

REAR CABIN VIEW - add the ability to pan the inside view to look around at all the beautiful features.

--WH

Vitus

Post by Vitus » 11 Jun 2018, 11:09

WarHorse47 wrote:
11 Jun 2018, 06:10
PILOT'S ACCESS - add the keyboard shortcut for opening the pilot's access and removing the pilot.
I'm not quite sure what you're referring to, do you mean the hatch/pilot's seat? Or do you mean the overhead hatch?
WarHorse47 wrote:
CABIN DOOR - add the ability to open the door from inside the cabin.
- good point. I add it to the list - maybe not this update, but this will be coming.
WarHorse47 wrote:
LUGGAGE/CARGO - remove luggage between flights (the passengers would be irate if the airlines lost them)
haha, to be honest that was exactly the reason why I left the luggage in the aircraft in the first place. The passengers will surely remember to leave the aircraft, but you're the one responsible to check that the ground crew unloads the plane after the flight.
WarHorse47 wrote:
REAR CABIN VIEW - add the ability to pan the inside view to look around at all the beautiful features.
Good point.

Thanks for your suggestions!

WarHorse47

Post by WarHorse47 » 11 Jun 2018, 16:02

On the pilot's access, I was referring to the overhead hatch. It's animated from within the cockpit, but I thought it would be nice to assign a keystroke (Shift+E+3). And why not remove the pilot when on the ground at the same time.

Is the hatch/pilot's seat animated? I'll have to check that out today. Well, I'll be. It is. But that raises another issue. When the hatch/pilot's seat is open to the cabin, the pilot is still visible from the external view?

--WH

Vitus

Post by Vitus » 12 Jun 2018, 13:36

It's a bit complicated to hook the hatch up with the key stroke event, since the animation consists of two parts - hatch and latch. I also feel like it takes something away from the animation itself.

I haven't touched the whole pilot's animation and visibility just yet. While you can remove his weight from the aircraft, the 3d model will still be there. You'll also notice that he doesn't move at all right now.

Flyby77

Post by Flyby77 » 12 Jun 2018, 17:38

Question: is there a way to adjust pilots weight up or down, passengers, etc?
PJ

Vitus

Post by Vitus » 12 Jun 2018, 20:28

As for the pilot: no. The pilot's weight is currently always set at 77 kg. For the passengers: yenoyesno. Not directly that is. The thinking behind it was that you, as a pilot, can't control the weight of your passengers, right? Whoever bought the ticket, no matter if 50 kg or 250 lbs.
That being said, the weight is randomly selected each time you make a pre-selection on the load sheet. So you click on an empty seat and check the weight of the passengers (hover the mouse over it or check the weight table on the left). If you're unhappy with the selection, just empty the seat again (click) and put a new passenger down (another click). Repeat this until you're happy with the selection and only then you hit the "board passengers" button.

Tailspin45

Post by Tailspin45 » 17 Jun 2018, 00:36

Back after a delightful 1+30 local flight out of KEKA. Really REALLY like this bird. (But, damn, the visibility is awful in that thing!)

I'd sure love it if you'd make engine sounds a priority in release 0.04. Aside from external factors such as weather and terrain, engine sound is the single biggest contributor to immersion, at least for me.
Blue skies and tailwinds

Vitus

Post by Vitus » 17 Jun 2018, 11:22

Tailspin45 wrote:
17 Jun 2018, 00:36
Back after a delightful 1+30 local flight out of KEKA. Really REALLY like this bird. (But, damn, the visibility is awful in that thing!)
Thanks man! As I mentioned before, it always makes me happy to read this. And yes, you can't see what's directly in front of you, even in level flight it's a bit of an issue. For me it adds to the experience though. I find the Vega surprisingly challenging to fly, which is half the fun. 8-)
Tailspin45 wrote:
17 Jun 2018, 00:36
I'd sure love it if you'd make engine sounds a priority in release 0.04. Aside from external factors such as weather and terrain, engine sound is the single biggest contributor to immersion, at least for me.
I agree that the sound is one of the centerpieces of the immersion! And I wish I could tell you that the new sound will be done by 0.04, but I'm afraid that probably won't be the case. I'm working on it though, it just takes more time.

Tailspin45

Post by Tailspin45 » 17 Jun 2018, 15:12

Actually, the visibility out the front isn't all that bad -- I'm used to SNJ and radial-powered biplanes. I was referring to the visibilities to the sides. All you see is wing root!

Tried temporarily replacing the sound folder in the Vega with the A2A AT-6 folder. It sounds wonderful outside, but for some reason, it's very, very quiet inside, even using their own sound CFG file.

I know you can't use their files, but if I can find a solution (perhaps by renaming some of their sound files) I'll be happy until yours are done.
Blue skies and tailwinds