Request a feature

General information about Wing42's Lockheed Vega.
Vitus

Re: Request a feature

Post by Vitus » 25 Jun 2018, 11:17

Hello Tom,

The OOM is very concerning. I am currently investigating if there is a memory leak somewhere in the simulation module. If so, it'll be addressed with the next update.
1. Thanks for your suggestions! Could you clarify which units you'd like to see converted?
2. Duly noted. One item on my long-term to-do list is to update the algorithms that govern the vibrations. I'll adjust the needle's behavior when I get to this item.
3. I agree, it would be a really good addition. What I don't like about it is that you would immediately know where you are exactly, which takes away from the challenge of flying without a gps. I have some ideas lingering in my head, but I don't think I'll get to include a solution into the Vega. Maybe in a future, future update - after release. Sorry Tom.
4. Aaaah, good question. I'd expect there'd be a tailwheel lock. But where is the control for it?
Image Wing42 | The Simulation Company

Tailspin45

Post by Tailspin45 » 25 Jun 2018, 15:14

Re: #1: Mainly in the loading window so fuel is in gallons, people in pounds, gross weight in pounds, etc.

Re: #3: Actually, this could be an entirely separate add-on. I assumed the aircraft would not necessarily be at the center. Chart would simply cover an area near where the aircraft was located with no 'bug' to indicate aircraft position. In any case, as you say, it's not a priority--maybe not even a good idea.

Re: #4: What we desperately need is a good vintage cockpit layout diagram! But such seems not to exist. That's probably because there were no required Pilot Operating Handbooks and because each aircraft was probably even a little different (i.e. c/n 69 had dual controls--but not side-by-side. The second set of controls and instruments was in the passenger compartment area behind and below the pilot with no forward visibility and was created for long distance and endurance flights).
Blue skies and tailwinds - Tailspin Tommy (aka Tom)

Tailspin45

Post by Tailspin45 » 04 Jul 2018, 14:58

As a reference, new rudder and mechanical brake pedals made from 1929 Travel Air drawings.

Blue skies and tailwinds - Tailspin Tommy (aka Tom)

mthrift

Post by mthrift » 10 Jul 2018, 21:43

Hi Otmar and team,

I picked up the Vega last week based on the information you posted at the Sim-Outhouse. I was impressed by what I saw there and have been even more impressed with it "in-person". I love the feel of the VC, especially the gauges, the various loadout animations, and was happily surprised by the ground-reflected navigation lighting. I'm a boxed-FSX user, and I thought this feature was only available with the 64-bit version of P3D. Well done! The Vega is a great add-on as it is, but I'm also looking forward to the planned new features and additions.

I have thought of a couple of items for possible inclusion in future updates that I don't think I've already seen mentioned on the board. The first is that it looks to me like the battery switch seems to "read" opposite of its setting, compared to the labels on the switch. I would think the the switch handle itself would "point" to the label that matches its setting, but believe it is opposite of that. The other is if it would be possible for the tool-tips for variable-setting items like Mixture could indicate their % setting in addition to what's already displayed there. This is how the tool-tips of most of these types of controls are displayed on other add-ons I'm familiar with. It's certainly not a big deal, but it does help to replace some of the feel of moving a "real" control.

I appreciate your consideration of these suggestions, but will definitely continue to enjoy the Vega whether implemented or not!

Thanks very much!
Michael

Vitus

Post by Vitus » 14 Jul 2018, 12:17

Hello Michael!

Thank you so much for your kind feedback. I am very pleased that you like our little bird! I'm sorry for the late reply, but I was drowning in my coding for the upcoming version 0.04 - whenever that happens my responses tend to get a bit delayed (unless, of course, it is something urgent)...

As for your suggestions:
mthrift wrote:
10 Jul 2018, 21:43
The first is that it looks to me like the battery switch seems to "read" opposite of its setting, compared to the labels on the switch. I would think the the switch handle itself would "point" to the label that matches its setting, but believe it is opposite of that.
The logic behind the switch is that you turn it towards the indicated label - so you turn it RIGHT to close the circuit, you turn it LEFT to open it. So there really isn't any usable indication what position the switch is in, because the two "pointers" are simply the handles of the switch... Maybe I could add a little arrow, or white line on the switch to make it more clear?
mthrift wrote:
10 Jul 2018, 21:43
The other is if it would be possible for the tool-tips for variable-setting items like Mixture could indicate their % setting in addition to what's already displayed there. This is how the tool-tips of most of these types of controls are displayed on other add-ons I'm familiar with. It's certainly not a big deal, but it does help to replace some of the feel of moving a "real" control.
This is an interesting one. The tool-tips of the Vega have a slightly different philosophy behind them than what you see in other add-ons. For example, I always thought that when you have a wobbling rpm needle it doesn't make much sense that the tool-tip for that instrument reads the exact value of the underlying engine parameter. The wobble now becomes a purely aesthetic feature, since you can simply by-pass interpreting the gauge. This is the reason why most tool-tips in the Lockheed Vega only indicate what the control or instrument IS, but not the state it is in. Of course there are a few exceptions to this - for instance when it's a bit difficult to read the labels (switches, magnetos, Kollsman setting of the altimeter).

All that said, I am a bit divided about the % label of the lever as you suggest it. I think when you adjust your mixture during flight, you do it by ear and by observing the RPM drop - in that case what benefit does the %-readout give you? It might be helpful during startup to alleviate the confusion that stems from the lever being reverse to what we are used to...
For the next update I put the percentages on all three relevant levers: the throttle, mixture and spark advance (which is still inop though). I'd like to gather some feedback and see what the rest of the Vega pilots think about it. If you guys like it, I'll leave it in. If the majority thinks that it's immersion-breaking I'll take it out with V0.05 again. Deal?

Thanks again for your feedback and sorry for the late reply! The Update is on it's way and hopefully will be ready towards the end of the next week (around Friday, the 20th I think).

Cheers,
Otmar

mthrift

Post by mthrift » 18 Jul 2018, 14:25

Hi Otmar,

Thanks very much for your reply . . . and certainly no need to apologize for the delay!

From your reply about the battery switch:
The logic behind the switch is that you turn it towards the indicated label - so you turn it RIGHT to close the circuit, you turn it LEFT to open it. So there really isn't any usable indication what position the switch is in, because the two "pointers" are simply the handles of the switch... Maybe I could add a little arrow, or white line on the switch to make it more clear?

I understand what you're saying, and that helps. I think this picture may better show what I'm trying to describe:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e8up10n3ycs3p ... y.JPG?dl=0 (I could not get the image to embed in the message)

I suppose what's confusing (to me, at least) is that, as shown, the battery is turned ON, but the switch seems to be pointing to the OFF position. Simply swapping the positions of the labels would address this, though again, maybe it's just me.

About the tooltips, I completely understand the feel you are after, and if the tooltips take away from that, please don't make a change for me.

Again, I really appreciate having the opportunity to make suggestions. After watching your latest video, I am looking froward to the updates in 0.04!

Best regards,
Michael

MatsH

Post by MatsH » 20 Jul 2018, 02:24

Hi,

I have a humble repaint request: LOCKHEED VEGA 5 NC624E in TW&A livery as shown here:

Code: Select all

https://dmairfield.com/airplanes/NC624E/index.html
Maybe this is a good reference for the colors:

Code: Select all

https://www.google.se/search?q=western+air+express&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjlotrrsKzcAhUKyqYKHaIOCsgQ_AUICigB&biw=1745&bih=846#imgrc=kcY1ayoL_yJwhM:
Note that the photos show: "Transcontinental and Western Air Inc." on the fuselage while the poster says: "Western Air Express Inc." Both may be correct but I would prefer TW&A.

/Mats

Vitus

Post by Vitus » 20 Jul 2018, 13:15

Hey Mats,
welcome to the forum!

Great suggestion, I love the colors. I'd love to comply with your request, but there's this little obstacle that the nose section is completely different.
I also love the shape of the early Vega, without the cowling and where the crankcase of the engine was lined up with the fuselage:

For me, this is a stretch goal though. If I make enough sales I can finance a month or two of development for this change and then going from that model to your suggestion would be far easier.

That being said, I could include the livery in the next update, however the model wouldn't match up.

binarkansas

Post by binarkansas » 20 Jul 2018, 14:51

Hello all: I recently purchased the Vega. I find it fascinating. I've made attempted to learn all I can from the manual and this forum before posting any questions or requests. I cannot find any mention of a paint kit. Is one offered somewhere? And if there's a way to add visible passengers to the aircraft I haven't found it. Is there a way to make passengers visible during flight? I agree with a previous post that removable wheel pants would be good. I also want to comment on the pilot figure...........please, either give him a little squint eyed look, or provide him with some sunglasses. Head on, he looks like he stepped out of the old Realair Scout that I still fly frequently. That's about it as far as complaints/requests go. I am happy with the flight qualities and the engine modeling. I am looking forward to the upcoming update. Thanks for the aircraft and for the very personal touch you seem to use with your customers.

MatsH

Post by MatsH » 20 Jul 2018, 23:24

Vitus,

I did not see that the nose was different! I learnt something! The Vega is a new aquaintance for me and I am looking forward to learning about the Vega!