Need an idea where to go?

General information about the Wing42 Lockheed Vega.
Vitus

Need an idea where to go?

Post by Vitus » 19 May 2018, 00:22

Check out www.timetableimages.com for some inspiration. The website has a huge collection of historic timetables and routes.

If I find the time, I'll collaborate the data with the list of airlines that flew the Vega. In the meantime, make sure to check out the route of Braniff Airways from Chicago to Wichita Falls and recreate the flight in FS! Try to get there on time. :ugeek:
Image Wing42 | The Simulation Company

Tailspin45

Re: Need an idea where to go?

Post by Tailspin45 » 17 Oct 2018, 01:18

Until the day we have a "real" (simulated) Winnie Mae, you can modify the aircraft.cfg file to add more fuel and enable the autopilot so you can have heading and altitude hold as a way to fake the fuel capacity of the aircraft and capabilities of the early Sperry autopilots.

Then you can try reflying Wiley Post's record-setting around-the-world flight. Keep track of how close you come to their times and post here?

triflyman

Post by triflyman » 23 Apr 2019, 04:40

Just completed the 1931 Braniff schedule. Did ok on time to Kansas City, but next day to Tulsa had 40 kts headwinds so was very late. Did not even shut off the motor at Tulsa with only a 5 min turnaround as I deplaned 3 passengers and 40 kilos of baggage and boarded the same. Still lost more time getting out of Tulsa. With all the short turnarounds I loaded full fuel in Chicago as no time to refill at the stops. Could usually do the 15 min turnarounds even with a restart but always had to be sure I landed close to a gate to reduce taxi time...which would not have been difficult back then since most airports we’re open fields with no defined runways. Overall was only 40 min late at the end. I do a lot of these classic schedules, with prop liners from the 40’s and 50’s, and can rarely make the times...simple fact is they lied and that is why we now have it reported and can compare on-time performance.

Vitus

Post by Vitus » 23 Apr 2019, 13:19

Love it! 8-)

I flew the Southern part of the route a while back and can confirm that the schedule is difficult to achieve. The question is whether or not our Vega is under-powered or if you're right and they just cheated a bit when compiling the schedule.
Image Wing42 | The Simulation Company

triflyman

Post by triflyman » 23 Apr 2019, 22:07

Unless you have some performance documentation that says otherwise, I would go with "they lied". I'm getting 152mph IAS at 29"mp very consistent.

You might be interested in a few months ago I did a flight with my DC-8-50 from KSFO to KORD and used a 1963 United Airlines timetable. I was just a few minutes late with that timetable. I then compared it with current timetables and found I would have been a few minutes early to as much as 20min early.

Carlos18

Post by Carlos18 » 01 May 2019, 12:28

Vitus wrote:
19 May 2018, 00:22
Check out www.timetableimages.com for some inspiration. The website has a huge collection of historic timetables and routes.
transfers Amiens
If I find the time, I'll collaborate the data with the list of airlines that flew the Vega. In the meantime, make sure to check out the route of Braniff Airways from Chicago to Wichita Falls and recreate the flight in FS! Try to get there on time. :ugeek:
Love it :)