Long range navigation in the Vega

Forums for discussions about Wing42, new developments and aviation in general.
Vitus

Re: Long range navigation in the Vega

Post by Vitus » 30 Jul 2018, 17:33

Tailspin45 wrote:
30 Jul 2018, 02:01
All that said, I can't wait for the opportunity to recreate some of the famous flights that featured the Vega!
I try to hurry up then :mrgreen:
Image Wing42 | The Simulation Company

Tailspin45

Post by Tailspin45 » 31 Jul 2018, 18:51

Haven't managed to get the radio range to work...but I'm still trying.

Meanwhile, I'd love to try your log. Can you send me a link to the download? I appreciate the opportunity.

MatsH

Post by MatsH » 31 Jul 2018, 20:34

Sure,

Download link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lamwlx9trdrun ... .xlsm?dl=0

Clicking the link will open the log in your browser. You can download and save it to your computer by clicking download in the upper right corner. Please, if you have any feedback, bugs to report or need help, use the A2A forums so that there is only one place to look for info regarding the log.

I'm working on several improvements. It is not perfect by any means! There is a bug that messes the MagVar up sometimes and the placement of the ToD/ToC waypoints.

Mgchristy

Post by Mgchristy » 03 Aug 2018, 13:24

When I showed up for flight training a couple years later the first aircraft I touched was a Beechcraft UC-45J and I loved that old bird (way older than I was), too. The martinet Marine flight instructor, not so much. He featured himself a jet jockey and his assignment to a Bugsmasher was a slam to his fragile ego.

Anyway, when I was in flight school I did have the opportunity to ride along from Pensacola to New Orleans in the Navy's very last Douglas AD that belonged to the Naval Air Medical Insitute. The pilot delighted in showing off what it, and he, could do and I was delighted too. I have a clear recollection of hanging in the straps in an almost vertical dive, falling like a bag of hammers, at a constant 180 knots through a hole in the undercast. Not exactly a stabilized approach, but it worked!
Sorry for my delayed response, Tom. You have an enviable flight resumé! That sounds like a moment where you'd have to pinch yourself to make sure: "I can't believe I'm getting paid to do this!" My dad was in the USAF (not flight crew) in the '60s, and finished up in the reserves at Willow Grove in the early '70s. I remember building several models of AD Skyraiders as a kid, simply because it was one of my dad's favorites. Not sure if any were ever based at WG, but he certainly witnessed a few transient examples on the flightline, and they apparently made quite an impression. Judging from your story, the feelings about the AD must be mutual! One of my last flight instructors was retired USN - a former P-3 Commander and instructor with T-34 B&C and T-28 time. He was a superb instructor and fantastic all-around guy. I always envied the good folks in the USN who got to experience his tutelage for 'free'!
Wow...color me shocked! Had no idea those were available for FSX. Many thanks, MatsH! I'll hopefully have time to give them a try this weekend.

Tailspin45

Post by Tailspin45 » 03 Aug 2018, 15:46

Willow Grove! Thanks for sharing your Dad's exprience there. I have some indirect history that relates to Willow Grove that you might find interesting. Go here to read about my wife's second solo flight that ended at NAS Willow Grove.

So far I've had no luck with LF range files I mentioned above in the Vega, at least in part because the instructions are confusing. If I figure it out I'll report back here.

But I did get the Miviz Bobcat LF radio to work and wandered around the skies near Eugene OR yesterday. Got lost a couple times and had to cheat by looking at the FSX map to get "orient-tated. It wasn't too windy and ceilings weren't too low so I found the approach plate and managed to get down to MDA right over the airport! It worked!

But, boy, did it give me new respect for the guys and gals who only had dits and dahs on dark and stormy nights to find their way and get safely on the ground. Going to re-read Ernie Gann's The High and the Mighty now that I have a better appreciation for what he was writing about.

Mgchristy

Post by Mgchristy » 03 Aug 2018, 17:08

Willow Grove! Thanks for sharing your Dad's exprience there. I have some indirect history that relates to Willow Grove that you might find interesting. Go here to read about my wife's second solo flight that ended at NAS Willow Grove.
I could sense an awful sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach as I read that tale. Kudos to your wife for keeping her wits and getting down in one piece. I could only imagine how she must've felt after her harrowing ordeal. I'm glad to see that the folks at Willow Grove treated her kindly, as she was clearly the 'victim' in that scenario. I hope she had a third solo...and plenty of others....after that experience.

PTW, Wings....good stuff, nice fields. My instructor called the towers at Limerick his "nuclear windsocks". They definitely were a comforting sight on a solo x-country, as on a clear cold winter's day at 3,000+ft their steam exhaust could practically be seen from anywhere in Southeast PA. No getting lost there...although I'm guessing your wife wasn't so thankful for those towers on her day!

Nice site, too. I'll have plenty of reading material on my lunch breaks for the next few weeks...always looking for good stories, including those with a local (to me) flavor.

Take care.

MatsH

Post by MatsH » 03 Aug 2018, 23:17

Tailspin45 wrote:
03 Aug 2018, 15:46
So far I've had no luck with LF range files I mentioned above in the Vega, at least in part because the instructions are confusing. If I figure it out I'll report back here.[/img]
Yes, a bit confusing yes!

You tune the radio range reciever using your ordinary ADF or the included 2D-panel. Since the Vega doesn't have an ADF it it's aircraft.cfg-file it might not be possible to use? What if you try setting adf.1=1 and adf.2=1 in the aircraft.cfg. It is just an idea, I feel I am in deep water. I will not use radio range with the Vega myself.