Hotfix feedback

Get tech support for your Lockheed Vega here.
WarHorse47

Hotfix feedback

Post by WarHorse47 » 07 Apr 2019, 18:54

So far, so good. But there are still some minor issues I need to figure out. ;)

I installed the hotfix and loaded the Vega. Still, the "Ready for Flight" feature did not fully start the aircraft. I had to resort to "Ctrl+E" to taxi.

After getting airborne, I noted a lot of backfires. Apparently the spark advance was at 50%. Once that was changed, the flight was beautiful.

Once I landed at my destination, the aircraft was stuck on the runway. Engine running, but I could not taxi. Somehow the parking brake was engaged. Once I disengaged it, I was fine. Not sure if the keyboard command works for the parking brake, so I'll check that out on my next flight.

Last but not least, once I parked the "Cold and Dark" feature works fine. Just for giggles, I clicked on "Ready for Flight" and everything started normally. :D

--WH

PS - Prior to the flight I just described, I decided to check out the maintenance on the aircraft. I was able to remove the cowling for engine inspection, but could not figure out how to restore it. Also, how to you close the conversation with Heinrick (other than switching views)?

VivaLasVega

Re: Hotfix feedback

Post by VivaLasVega » 07 Apr 2019, 19:07

Heinrick panel should have as the bottom tick box, 'close this', or something like that. You need to be quick & careful with the mouse pointer, if you traverse other boxes it may activate that activity.
He only is available when Vega is stationary.
VLV

VivaLasVega

Post by VivaLasVega » 07 Apr 2019, 20:08

P3D v4.3 - the fix works & also does away with the need to chock/remove chocks to get it rolling. The ctrl + . brake on/off works.
It got started on Shift + 6 on the 2nd shot at it, after I cracked the throttle a bit more.

Still need to figure the 4 controls.
As I was rolling down the runway at 100% throttle, 80% mixture & 50% Spark Advance & 0% blower level there were a couple of spectacular detonations with black smoke. Advancing the spark to 100% fixed that.

Vitus, I think it would be helpful if you could recommend settings for Throttle/Mix/Spark Adv. & Blower level for;
(a) Start up
(b) Takeoff
(c) Cruising
(D) Approach for landing.

Once I got it airborn I found the Vega great fun to fly, & even though the sound is in development it is still pretty good.
I noticed it takes a lot of aileron stick to swing it over, ie, felt heavy on the sticks, which I suspect the original was also. Feels realistic in that respect.

As an aside, due to ageing eyesight I try & fit all my GA & Vintage aircraft with the inexpensive WeFly Works pop up GPS/Autopilot & was delighted to find that the Vega takes it. I tweaked Panel.cfg & Aircraft.cfg & it works off shift + 7 now.
This allows me long flights without having to watch the screen for several hours, which I can't do.
So a thankyou to Vitus for so promptly getting out a hotfix.
Cheers
VLV

Vitus

Post by Vitus » 07 Apr 2019, 22:49

Thank you both for your extensive feedback! I'm glad to hear that the hotfix resolved most problems with the Ready to Fly function.

The Blower doesn't serve a proper function yet, and I think I will rename the lever in the next build to make it's function more clear. After lots of research, we came to the conclusion that the supercharger of the Wasp C was fully integrated, i.e. NOT controllable. It was automatically engaged through a clutch (to prevent damaging shock waves and structural problems).
This fourth lever, marked "B" seems to be the control for the universal heater - a carburetor heat control! The Wasp C manual has the description and diagrams of this contraption, and it seemed a novel enough concept for the time to even patent. In preparation, I already linked the lever with the carburetor control of the sim, so if you have the sim's carburetor ON/OFF switched linked with a joystick control, it should move the lever around. However it only works one way at the moment, I didn't have the time to integrate a full carburetor heat control. It's on the list for version 0.9.
In other words: you can safely ignore the "B" lever for now, it doesn't really serve a function yet.

So to answer your question, here is a condensed setting:
Before engine startup:
Throttle 1/2 inch
Spark 1/2 inch
Mixture: Rich, lean out if you're high up in the mountains
Blower: doesn't matter :)
Booster: ON

Directly after startup:
Spark: either fully advance and forget for the rest of the flight, for better combustion ~50-75%
Mixture: from my experience rather on the lean side
Blower: still doesn't matter
Throttle: 600rpm until oil pressure rises, then slowly advance to about 1000 rpm. BUT keep an eye on the oil pressure, if you see it rising above 100 C, close the throttle a bit.
Booster: OFF

Warm-up:
Keep this setting for warm up. Idle at around 1000 rpm until engine and oil is warmed up

Run-up:
Advance the Spark to 100% and leave it there.
Throttle to around 1600 rpm and perform your mag tests.
This is also a good time to double check your mixture.If you feel like the engine is not producing enough ooompph, play with the mixture until you get the power you need.

Takeoff:
Spark: fully advanced (100%)
Throttle up until you get around 34 inHg manifold pressure. This should give you around 2000-2100 rpm when you lift off the runway.

Climb:
Spark: guess what? Full advanced!
Manifold: around 32 inHg should give you a good climb

Cruise:
Spark: Full advanced, of course! :)
Manifold: depending on how economical you'd like to fly, between 26 and 30 inHg works.
Mixture: if you want to preseve fuel, lean! And then lean some more.

If you have the spark fully advanced and you get after-fires (it's NOT in the carburetor, so it's an after-fire, not a back-fire!) that usually means that you're pushing your engine way too hard - throttle back.

Update 0.9 will be fun, because with that update you'll get severely punished if you mistreat the poor ol' Wasp engine ;)

I hope this helps!
Image Wing42 | The Simulation Company

VivaLasVega

Post by VivaLasVega » 07 Apr 2019, 23:43

Very helpful.
Thanks
VLV

triflyman

Post by triflyman » 08 Apr 2019, 05:35

Viva...FS Pilot Shop says the WeFly only for FSX And P3D up to v3. Just want to confirm you have it working in P3D v4. If so, can you send me the panel.cfg and aircraft.cfg files or post a screen shot so I can do?

Thanks

VivaLasVega

Post by VivaLasVega » 08 Apr 2019, 14:13

triflyman
Will PM data you need later today.
I confirm I have it running in P3D v4.3
VLV

VivaLasVega

Post by VivaLasVega » 08 Apr 2019, 14:32

Just to clarify - if you are on v4.4 then not sure if it will work or not.
& I anticipate you will need to purchase the app - what I can help with is installation guidance, where coding & changes go etc. Do not wish to appear that I am shortchanging a product seller.
VLV

triflyman

Post by triflyman » 08 Apr 2019, 15:23

I’ll give it a try...thanks.

triflyman

Post by triflyman » 08 Apr 2019, 23:44

VLV,

Purchased it and downloaded. Hope you can help me set up as I see no instructions nor do they have a web site that I can find. Thanks,