Eclipse Inertia Starter

General information about the Wing42 Lockheed Vega.
Tailspin45

Re: Eclipse Inertia Starter

Post by Tailspin45 » 07 Jul 2018, 17:29

Yup, exactly. Here's what Skip just wrote:
It is connected to an on/off valve in the line behind the pump. N4418 had one like that when they first got it.
BTW, I'd be very surprised if there is a fuel dump valve on these old birds. Arte you sure that's what it is?
Blue skies and tailwinds - Tailspin Tommy (aka Tom)

Vitus

Post by Vitus » 07 Jul 2018, 18:15

Thank you Jarek! That clears it up for sure. Looks like there's more work ahead of me now. :roll:

Just like with most other things discussed, I'm not 100% sure. I know for a fact however that the Lockheed Electra had fuel dump valves, that was only a few years later. I can see this little valve in almost every cockpit picture I got of the Vega and it always goes from the fuel lines down through the floor. On many exterior pictures you can also see a nozzle-like tube sticking out under the cockpit. I thought it's fair to assume that those are dump valves, but I'm open to suggestions :mrgreen:
Image Wing42 | The Simulation Company

Tailspin45

Post by Tailspin45 » 07 Jul 2018, 18:24

I wonder if it was a fuel drain, more than fuel dump? The small size of the pipe suggests it would take forever to use it to dump fuel. But if it was a drain it could be used to allow whatever water that has collected in the tanks from condensation to be eliminated. (I haven't seen any fuel sump drains in the wings which would help my case, but that doesn't mean they aren't there. If they were it would be pointless to have one in the cockpit. Hmmm, except for the center section tank. )

Jarek

Post by Jarek » 07 Jul 2018, 22:09

Looks like fuel drain for me. It appears to be on the every Lockheed plane of that era. Water in the fuel caused some interesting issues. I remember that from few books with memories of test pilot from my local R.W.D. factory. I need to translate but long story short was: someone climbed and engine started to run rough, so they started descent and all back to normal, climb - and story starts again (???) Hours of looking what is wrong with the engine and carb, but issue was in the hose delivering fuel from wing tanks in which water got frozen at some higher altitude ;-)

Coming back to the topic - Starter switch in Vega was located on firewall, below the panel. Just above some metal box.
There is a mark on it: STARTER, Push 5(?) seconds, Pull to XXXX (unreadable, quality is quite bad). Anyway this confirms what we discussed here.

Marks on the primer:
THE LUKENHEIMER CO. (top) PATENT SEPT.1?.191? (bottom, again not sure about last digits due to pic. quality)
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (47.56 KiB) Viewed 1081 times
Last edited by Jarek on 07 Jul 2018, 22:31, edited 2 times in total.

Vitus

Post by Vitus » 07 Jul 2018, 22:25

wow, keen eye. Again! :D
I'd say: "pull to mesh"

Jarek

Post by Jarek » 07 Jul 2018, 22:32

Yes! exactly, I couldn't find a word we used yesterday ;-)

Tailspin45

Post by Tailspin45 » 07 Jul 2018, 22:49

Push to energise?

Jarek

Post by Jarek » 07 Jul 2018, 23:05

it's 4 letters, first is M. So it must be MESH. I immediately recalled meshing solenoid from your book Tom :)

Vitus

Post by Vitus » 07 Jul 2018, 23:06

It's a really shitty position in a flightsim cockpit though, I doubt you can see that switch from the default viewpoint. I think I need to take some creative license here to make sure everyone can easily identify the starter without reading the manual ;)

Jarek

Post by Jarek » 07 Jul 2018, 23:15

If you watch Fokker movie from the "1340 details" thread, https://youtu.be/GmkhNoHoziw?t=233, quite a lot of force was required to pull this thing. The contact between jaws must be solid. As Tom mentioned, in AT6 you engaged this by pedal, so perhaps it was easier this way.