Eclipse Inertia Starter

General information about the Wing42 Lockheed Vega.
Jarek

Re: Eclipse Inertia Starter

Post by Jarek » 07 Jul 2018, 02:28

Here is an example starter flange, many holes to be able to position it at required angle for different applications.
flange.png
flange.png (95.51 KiB) Viewed 1514 times
In the middle - starter jaw with 3 teeth. Same matching 3-teeth jaw is in the rear section of the engine. In principle, when such jaw moves forward, it couples with engine jaw. A slip between these two parts is possible only in one direction - when engine fires and starts spinning faster than flywheel and you not release starter on time.

Tailspin45

Post by Tailspin45 » 07 Jul 2018, 05:00

Beautiful example. Makes clear why they’re called dogs, eh?
Blue skies and tailwinds - Tailspin Tommy (aka Tom)

Vitus

Post by Vitus » 07 Jul 2018, 11:09

Thanks for all your information guys! Great stuff, as usual.

I'm wondering where to find the controls in the Vega cockpit. I keep looking at the few cockpit photos I got and in none of them can I point out with certainty which of the controls the starter could be.

And then there's another mystery (maybe linked?)

I assumed that the round knob is the primer, but what is this metal lever that's hanging over it? I recall seeing a similar setup in a different aircraft where the same metal hook was labeled "on - off - on". Assuming that the knob IS the primer, this could be a selection switch where you can select one of two cylinders that you want to prime. Or maybe I am completely wrong and the knob is the starter motor control and the metal hook is a mechanical lever to engage the flywheel?

Any thoughts?
Image Wing42 | The Simulation Company

Jarek

Post by Jarek » 07 Jul 2018, 13:10

this could be a selection switch where you can select one of two cylinders that you want to prime
According to the manual, R-1340 has fixed setup, primer line goes to distributor and then to 5 top cylinders: 8-9-1-2-3. So no selection here, but this is something that needs to be secured after use. I believe we see something typical for primer knob on pictures 2 and 3.

Now this handle is interesting. Planes from these pictures used mechanical inertia starters, so I would expect some kind of handle but not so tiny. In addition, as this lever exists exactly in the same setup on 3 planes, for me it opens a valve for fuel supply to the primer pump. Normally you need to screw down primer after use, but either this is different version or additional safety mechanism implemented here.

Tailspin45

Post by Tailspin45 » 07 Jul 2018, 15:07

The far right image definitely shows a primer knob. As Jarek suggests it has a locking mechanism. You push in against a spring and twist counterclockwise to release, slowly pump it to prime (pull to fill the barrel, push to squirt into the cylinders), and then push in again against the spring and twist clockwise to lock. Failure to lock it allows fuel to flow through the primer to the engine and will cause a rich mixture. In a small engine such as the O-320 it can cause the engine to quit, but I don't know if that is true of a big 1340. It certainly would make for a black smokey exhaust, though.

The middle image does appear to show a primer, but I'm not sure. It doesn't seem to have the characteristic wide nut on the panel behind the knob. No clue what the butterfly switch might be. Perhaps alternate static source selector?

Left image is clearly not a typical primer, but certainly could be a unique early version with a butterfly knob. I'm more inclined to see it as a selector for something, but not sure what.

Are larger images available?

Vitus

Post by Vitus » 07 Jul 2018, 15:46

One of the best contemporary images I could find of the Vega is here:
https://www.thehenryford.org/collection ... act/409060

Unfortunately I only found it after the interior model was almost finished, otherwise the Vega would look much more like this..
Anyway, you can zoom in quite a bit on this picture, but not close enough to make out the writing on the primer-like knob. You can however see the metal hook very clearly and I really wonder what the purpose of it is. If the primer can be locked (like in the current version of the Wing42 Vega), there really is no need for this form of protection, so it seems that it serves a different purpose.

Btw. check out the funny looking heater controls left and right on the panel. :)

Jarek

Post by Jarek » 07 Jul 2018, 16:12

If you check how it was done in Lindbergh's plane here: https://airandspace.si.edu/multimedia-gallery/11295pjpg. Primer is on the right bottom with 2 fuel lines attached - supply is bigger in diameter. If you follow this line, you will fond a valve at the pilot's right hand side. This sirius doesn't have this metal lever but has this valve. Even if it seems not necessary and primer can be locked, such method of double-protection was used. Second option is that it couldn't be locked so this was a "must have" element.

Tailspin45

Post by Tailspin45 » 07 Jul 2018, 16:13

Sure looks like a primer. And the loop through the panel does look like a crude locking mechanism? But...

I sent the link to our former mechanic, Skip, to see what he thinks

Vitus

Post by Vitus » 07 Jul 2018, 16:51

Jarek wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 16:12
If you check how it was done in Lindbergh's plane here: https://airandspace.si.edu/multimedia-gallery/11295pjpg. Primer is on the right bottom with 2 fuel lines attached - supply is bigger in diameter. If you follow this line, you will fond a valve at the pilot's right hand side. This sirius doesn't have this metal lever but has this valve. Even if it seems not necessary and primer can be locked, such method of double-protection was used. Second option is that it couldn't be locked so this was a "must have" element.
wow, keen eye! Also note the fuel dump valve right under the primer cut-off - that one will be included in v0.03.

Jarek

Post by Jarek » 07 Jul 2018, 17:17

Life really gets easier if you know the name of the company which supplies these things. In case of primer this is Lunkenheimer.
And voilla - mysterious element is here:
lunkenheimer.jpeg
lunkenheimer.jpeg (77.97 KiB) Viewed 1499 times
More pictures:
http://www.triple-mregister.org/forums/ ... C_ID=13303