Engine sound preview

General information about the Wing42 Lockheed Vega.
Vitus

Engine sound preview

Post by Vitus » 10 Jun 2019, 23:05

I uploaded a sample of what I am working at the moment to youtube. If you're having trouble getting your engine going, you can draw some inspiration from the startup process as well. Have a listen over here:

phpBB [media]

What do you think? Yay? Nay?
Image Wing42 | The Simulation Company

timmee62

Re: Engine sound preview

Post by timmee62 » 11 Jun 2019, 14:28

It is sounding really good. The starter seems to take a lot longer to spin up than 0.85 does. Has that changed?

Vitus

Post by Vitus » 11 Jun 2019, 14:34

There will be some major changes to the electrical system. What affects the spool-up time is battery charge and the resulting voltage. As the battery depletes, the motor will spin slower, taking more time to spin up that wheel. You could just leave the battery cart connected to assist in the start up.

timmee62

Post by timmee62 » 11 Jun 2019, 18:31

Makes sense. One of the best things about the Vega is how the logic works with various components affecting each other :)

mthrift

Post by mthrift » 15 Jun 2019, 01:16

That sounds excellent, Otmar! A significant improvement over the temporary soundpack I installed. Nice and "throaty" and it sounds more appropriately loud in the cockpit. Love it. Also, did I hear some extra frame/landing gear sounds as you made your way down the runway?

Really adds to the immersion. Nice work! :mrgreen:

Regards,
Michael

Vitus

Post by Vitus » 15 Jun 2019, 13:02

Well spotted Michael! I added a bunch of sounds to the Vega. The rumbling on the takeoff roll is also linked to vibrations and the acceleration of the aircraft. So, you'll also hear the rattle when the engine runs rough or if you perform some abrupt maneuvers. There's also another set of sounds which is not previewed here. I added some wind noises that are linked with the opening of the windows.

As you wrote: it's all about immersion! 8-)

Jaggyroad

Post by Jaggyroad » 15 Jun 2019, 21:10

Exciting stuff!

Also, I added the repaint thread post you made on Facebook. So jazzed about this work.
Image Wing42 | Moderator
“We can each change the world, with genuine acts of kindness.” - Mongai Fankam

Tailspin45

Post by Tailspin45 » 15 Jun 2019, 21:23

Sound is much better!

Start occurs a bit too quick. Even with an electric starter, it takes a while for the cylinders to start firing. With the inertial starter, it's even slower. It still sounds like a fine gyro, not heavy clunky flywheel, BTW.

See 0:27 - 0:37 in this video for 1340 start sound with an electric starter, not inertial. (You'll note the sound doesn’t quite match the video in many places. The smoke starts before the sound during the start, for example, because the sound was from another clip and I'm a lousy editor.)

The wonderful air-to-air video was shot by TV8, our local CBS TV station, from their News Chopper 8 helo.

Yep, that's my Dad in the close. He learned to fly in Stearman and AT-6. Flew A-20s in the Pacific and was over there when I was born.

phpBB [media]