Your thoughts about the side-bar

General information about Wing42's Lockheed Vega.
Vitus

Your thoughts about the side-bar

Post by Vitus » 08 Apr 2019, 01:59

With version 0.85, I added buttons for the configuration panel and to interact with Heinrich to a perma-visible tab on the left side of the screen. I would like to get your opinion on the usefulness of this user interface and whether or not it should be further extended.

For the future, I'd like to add the walk-around interface and the maintenance manual in this panel, because I personally think it's a really easy way to access the various panels and is preferable over trying various Shift+12335 combinations until you find what you're looking for.

But I'd like to hear your opinion about this. My worry is that some people might find the side-bar to intrusive, or irritating, since - by design - there's no way to close it.

And I have a follow up. Some panels, like the payload sheet and the configuration panel can be useful during the flight as well. At the moment, the tab disappears once you pick up airspeed, mainly so that the view is not obstructed. How would you feel if that wasn't the case, i.e. if the tab stays there all the time for quick access to those panels?

I'm curious about your opinions.

Cheers,
Vitus
Image Wing42 | The Simulation Company

WarHorse47

Re: Your thoughts about the side-bar

Post by WarHorse47 » 08 Apr 2019, 03:18

The side-bar works for me.

Only suggestion I have is for the configuration page. I would relocate the "Save and Close" function directly under the Audio options. At first I thought it pertained to the aircraft state (e.g., "Cold and Dark, etc.) until I read the manual.

I was also wondering if it would be possible to add links to some of the other inspection and walk-around pages? I'm still learning which keyboard commands I need to access them.

--WH

Vitus

Post by Vitus » 09 Apr 2019, 11:54

WarHorse47 wrote:
08 Apr 2019, 03:18
Only suggestion I have is for the configuration page. I would relocate the "Save and Close" function directly under the Audio options.
That's a really good idea, thank you!
WarHorse47 wrote:
08 Apr 2019, 03:18
I was also wondering if it would be possible to add links to some of the other inspection and walk-around pages?
Yep, that was part two of my question ;)

I always hated the way fsx/p3d handles panels and I personally really like my solution and would like to extend on it, but I'm wondering if others find a this panel-bar useful as well.

speedy70

Post by speedy70 » 09 Apr 2019, 16:01

I agree that the sidebar is a great idea.

Would it be possible to show failure to start problems like "flooded engine" etc.

Cheers Chris

Vitus

Post by Vitus » 09 Apr 2019, 16:43

speedy70 wrote:
09 Apr 2019, 16:01
Would it be possible to show failure to start problems like "flooded engine" etc.
That's a great idea! Easier said than done though, because none of these conditions are simple on/off switches. When the engine is cranked over, the physics engine is calculating a combustion-chance, based on a good dozen of parameters. It will be difficult to condense this into a point or two. I do have a few ideas how to better assist you guys in finding out what's going wrong. There's some major changes coming for v.0.9, and I keep your comment in mind and try to incorporate it into my structure. I can't promise it though, since I think it'd be a considerable amount of work to get it done.

pedrotrindade

Post by pedrotrindade » 11 Apr 2019, 09:55

Would be possible to have a smaller sidebar? Or with some kind of transparency?