Vega flies for the airlines

General information about the Wing42 Lockheed Vega.
Tailspin45

Vega flies for the airlines

Post by Tailspin45 » 25 Jun 2018, 01:05

Under construction! Each entry will have brief text, an aircraft image, and-where possible-serial numbers.

Delta Airlines - Airmail only on Route 24
Delta used two planes leased from Bowen Airlines for mail service only on Airmail Route 42.

NC107W (serial 3160)
Manufactured in April 1930, originally as a 5B model and later converted to a 5C model. Destroyed in an accident in Mexico on May 5, 1938, after it had left Delta service.

NC161W (serial 3167)
Manufactured in July 1930, originally as a 5B model and later converted to a 5C model. Dismantled in Mexico in June 1949.

Last edited by Tailspin45 on 25 Jun 2018, 02:08, edited 6 times in total.
Blue skies and tailwinds - Tailspin Tommy (aka Tom)

Tailspin45

Re: Vega flies for the airlines

Post by Tailspin45 » 25 Jun 2018, 01:39

Bowen Airlines

From https://www.ieterna.org/index.php?optio ... Itemid=346
July 1, 1931 I started flying for Bowen Airlines, Ft. WorthDal1as - Tulsa-Oklahoma City, Ft.Worth - San Antonio and Houston; later to Brownsville and still later to Chicago. We flew Wasp Lockheed Vegas and in 1935 we flew some Cyclone Vultees leased from American Airlines. I Flew with Bowen five years.

Sometime during that period Urschel was kidnapped and the only clue he could give the FBI after his rescue was that every day a plane flew over at the same time and he once casually asked the time, and when the plane missed one day due to weather he asked the date. From that clue the FBI, in a study of the airline schedules and weather reports deduced it to be the schedule to Amarillo. The FBI man asked for me to fly for him back and forth over the line and through their calculations they were able to pinpoint the house as being near Wichita Falls which enabled them to eventually close in on the kidnappers.

Bowen took out bankruptcy on February 14, 1936 after losing their bid for a mail contract.
e

Bowen Orion - more details on this aircraft at https://dmairfield.com/airplanes/NC964Y/index.html
Last edited by Tailspin45 on 25 Jun 2018, 15:56, edited 8 times in total.

Tailspin45

Re: Vega flies for the airlines

Post by Tailspin45 » 25 Jun 2018, 01:44

Braniff Airlines

I wonder if this picture was taken after an "incident" that attracted the photographer's attention. An awful lot of oil on that belly.

Pilot's dzus fastener tool used to open engine cowl