Release plans - early alpha

General information about Wing42's Lockheed Vega.
Vitus

Release plans - early alpha

Post by Vitus » 10 Aug 2017, 20:21

I wrote a post over at sim-outhouse outlining the plans for the release of the the Lockheed Vega. And since this is very relevant information I want to share the plan here as well.

As mentioned before, I am planning on releasing an EARLY ALPHA soon; because I think an aircraft like the Vega could really benefit from input from the flight sim community early in the development. It is such a diverse airplane, with lacking documentation on it, so it is easy to overlook important details. I'd love to mobilize the community to help us come up with the best Vega one could hope to fly in the Sim.

If you decide to join the early alpha team, you will get the WIP Vega with access to progressive updates and - of course - full access to the final product when she is finished. As it is an early alpha, you must be aware that I can't promise that ANYTHING works as expected. There will be bugs and there will be things that are simply not implemented yet!

But many features can already be tested, such as:
- barometric system (custom coded instrumentation, based on raw environmental data)
- vacuum system (custom coded, very detailed simulation under the hood)
- electrical system (custom coded, to overcome some issues in FSX/P3D)
- unique animation code for all interactive elements in the cockpit (I'm VERY curious about your feedback!)
- Functional ramp- and payload manager
- First glimpse at the maintenance tool (limited functionality)
- Persistent cockpit

And here is a list of things that will NOT be included in the early alpha but will be covered in FUTURE updates:
- accurate flight model (She does fly. Just not very well at present.)
- sound engine and custom sounds
- lubrication/fuel/ignition/engine simulation
- wear/tear/failure simulation (few features implemented at present)
- manuals

All the items on the list are milestones in my project-management. Depending on the demand I do consider building both the "Winnie Mae", Wiley Post's around the world aircraft with the prototype of the Sperry autopilot and Amelia Earhart's Lockheed Vega 5 that she soloed across the Atlantic ocean.

Both of those aircraft require 3d modeling and heavy adjustments of the code as well, so I can't promise to deliver on those just yet.

There is something else you might find interesting. I will provide checklists for the Lockheed Vega. It is a bit anachronistic, since checklists weren't used until the B-17 was flown. But checklists make flying an aircraft like the Vega much easier. And here's the thing:

I will get the checklists printed! I did some prototyping and think a A6 format is feasible. The pages will be professionally printed on thick (min. 300gr) paper and coated. The pages will have metal eyelets and will be held together by a ring. You can order them with together with the Vega if you're inclined to do so and they will arrive a few days later by mail. I posted the first prototypes on my Instagram if you're interested:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BXJdAo0D...n-by=simwing42

I believe that concludes my plans for the moment and I hope you get an idea what the Vega is about. I'd love for many people to take part in the development by signing up early and bombard this forum with requests, bug reports and suggestions!

Cheers,
Vitus
Image Wing42 | The Simulation Company

gojozoom

Re: Release plans - early alpha

Post by gojozoom » 14 Aug 2017, 23:29

Looking forward to this :)

gojozoom

Post by gojozoom » 15 Aug 2017, 23:09

FYI - The Instagram checklist doesn't seem to work - it has the "..." in the actual link.

Vitus

Post by Vitus » 16 Aug 2017, 01:51

Oh man, you were right. Thanks a lot. I fixed the link! Much appreciated!
Image Wing42 | The Simulation Company