Request a feature

General information about Wing42's Lockheed Vega.
Vitus

Request a feature

Post by Vitus » 10 Aug 2017, 17:23

Please use this thread to make suggestions/requests for a feature for the Vega.
Image Wing42 | The Simulation Company

WarHorse47

Radio

Post by WarHorse47 » 09 Jun 2018, 03:20

I'd like to have a very simple radio added. I understand that VHF radios were just being introduced when the Vega was being produced, and that Wiley Post had one for the Winnie Mae on his solo around the world flight. Since I'm flying in and out of current airports, it's nice to get permission from the ATC.

Thanks

--WH

Vitus

Re: Request a feature

Post by Vitus » 09 Jun 2018, 09:21

Hey WH,
this question has been on my mind for a long time and the reason why the current state is that the Vega doesn't have a radio comes down to historicity. While you're right in saying that Post and others used radios for their flight, they did not use VHF! The radios of that period were still using low frequencies, often calibrated for 500 kilocycles, which was the standard in the shipping industry. The radio was definitely not equipped by default in the Vega, but as far as I know some airlines started to experiment with the technology.
Wiley Post's radio was mainly for navigation. He used a huge, rectangular loop antenna for direction finding tuning in on AM radio stations.
So in short: there's no vhf radio because it wasn't a thing yet. I do however understand the need to make the aircraft compatible with the modern sim environment. I am however a bit reluctant to install a vhf radio that simply didn't exist back in the days. One alternative would be to include a little handheld radio (similar to what A2A did in their cub).
What do you think?

Vitus

Post by Vitus » 09 Jun 2018, 09:38

Just one more remark to that topic. The reason why I'm so reluctant to include a radio is:

I hate breaking immersion.

The goal is to produce an aircraft exactly how it was flown in the 1920s. Which is why you find antiquated things like fuses and a spark advance in the cockpit. I feel that any component that's not historically accurate takes a little bit of that experience away from you.
But on the topic of the radio I could be persuaded by arguments and user opinions :mrgreen:

WarHorse47

Post by WarHorse47 » 09 Jun 2018, 16:09

A handheld radio would work.

I understand the quest for immersion and accuracy for the period. However, I'm flying in and out of FS airports AND I have a lot of ai aircraft to deal with which is why I am accustomed to using the radio. Many times I wished to take off or land at a ga airport only to have to wait as another aircraft is landing. So for my flying style, using the radio is part of the immersion factor.

Not a big issue but you did ask. :<)

Vitus

Post by Vitus » 09 Jun 2018, 16:26

Hehe I too always feel a bit weird taxiing out on the runway without checking in with the tower first.

"Fingers crossed boys, here goes nothing!" :lol:

Aussie157

Post by Aussie157 » 10 Jun 2018, 06:00

Why not create a panel that has a radio and GPS in it and add it to the aircraft's folder. It can be named something like panel.modern. Then those who wish to have modern aids like a GPS, NDB and a radio can change the aircraft.cfg to accommodate the modern panel.

triflyman

Post by triflyman » 10 Jun 2018, 17:56

My take is that once you've taxied past Bonanza's, Cessna's, Lear Jet's. etc...seen the Van's & SUV's in the parking lot at your GA field, any immersion that your in the 1920's is gone. I prefer to think of it as I've got a "Golden Age" Classic aircraft I'm flying in the present. I don't need GPS (I can still fly VOR's and NDB's in the present) but I do need a radio...and, for a lot of airspace, a Transponder.

Vitus

Post by Vitus » 11 Jun 2018, 11:10

Aussie157 wrote:
10 Jun 2018, 06:00
Why not create a panel that has a radio and GPS in it and add it to the aircraft's folder. It can be named something like panel.modern. Then those who wish to have modern aids like a GPS, NDB and a radio can change the aircraft.cfg to accommodate the modern panel.
Radio is a goooo, but uuuuuuuuugh GPS, really? :o
nonononono. This aircraft is flown by looking out of the window (and hoping that the cowling and wings don't obstruct the landmark you're looking for :mrgreen: ).

Also, please keep in mind that any time spent implementing some modern equipment to match the sim's era is less time spend getting the engine simulation finished. And my focus is to nail the systems to match the historic counterparts.
triflyman wrote:
10 Jun 2018, 17:56
My take is that once you've taxied past Bonanza's, Cessna's, Lear Jet's. etc...seen the Van's & SUV's in the parking lot at your GA field, any immersion that your in the 1920's is gone.
Very true. I always try to stay away from the big airports and rather land on some small airstrip. What we really need is scenery packs on the Orbx level that cover the roaring 20s and the 30s. Who volunteers? 8-)
triflyman wrote:
10 Jun 2018, 17:56
I don't need GPS (I can still fly VOR's and NDB's in the present) but I do need a radio...and, for a lot of airspace, a Transponder.
Besides online flying, is there really a need for the transponder in the sim though?

triflyman

Post by triflyman » 11 Jun 2018, 15:57

“Besides online flying, is there really a need for the transponder in the sim though?”

Only because it would be part of reality of flying a Golden Age aircraft today.