A message from Jack...Chief Mechanic

General information about the Wing42 Lockheed Vega.
Jack N.

A message from Jack...Chief Mechanic

Post by Jack N. » 07 Aug 2019, 23:20

Hi folks, it’s Jack, Chief Mechanic here at Dwight’s Flight Service. Thought I’d let you know that the new Aeronautical Branch of the government is now requiring that all us mechanics be certified before we can work on airplanes…so I’ve gone back to school to get certified and then can work on this wonderful Pratt & Whitney Wasp engine on the Vega 5. And…I can say WOW…this engine is a long way from the Hispano-Suiza and Rhone engines I worked on in the Great War. These new engines are remarkable and I can see it’s very important to be properly trained before doing work on them. You know…we’re so lucky to be living in this modern time of 1932…I mean, I’ve heard they now have radios that have moving pictures on them…can you believe it? I think they call them picture radio or something like that…but probably so expensive that normal people like us will never have one.
I’m lucky that the Pratt people are holding the school at the Lockheed plant here in Burbank. So I should have my certification here shortly and then we at Dwight’s Flight Service will be able to handle all your repair needs on this wonderful Vega 5.
Oh…and can you believe it…the people from Pratt say they are designing a new engine that will have 14 cylinders in two rows…how can they do that? I can’t wait to see one of those…and…I hear rumors around Lockheed that they are working on a twin engine version of the Vega…wow that will be something to see.
So, for those of you that already own the Vega…we’ll be able to handle all your maintenance needs very shortly…and for those who haven’t bought the Vega yet…what are you waiting for…this is the fastest, most modern airplane in the skies and a dream to experience.
Jack N.
Chief mechanic of the Lockheed Vega